Dr. Dan J. and Patricia S. Pickard Scholarship
The Dallas Foundation
This scholarship was started at The Dallas Foundation in 2004 to benefit African-American male students in Dallas County. Dr. Pickard who was an optometrist and founder of the Pickard Eye Clinic. Called Magnum believed that doing something nice for someone and they do something nice for someone else, can affect the lives of many people. Students who demonstrated financial need are preferred.
- 2 awards
- Scholarship Website
- Age/Grade Level:Students graduating from high schools in Dallas County.
- Minimum GPA:2.50
- Financial Need:Not Required
- School:Students graduating from high schools in Dallas County.
- College:Applied to and plan to attend an accredited two-year or four-year college or university.
- Ethnicity:Applicants must be African-American male students.
- Resume/Activity List:Required
- Essay:A typed essay of no more than 750 words. This PERSONAL STATEMENT should describe your individual character and accomplishments, your career and educational goals, your hobbies and interests, and any obstacles (such as illness or family problems) that you have had to overcome in order to pursue your education. It should also describe someone (not a family member) who inspires you and explain why.
- Recommendation Letters:At least one, but no more than three, LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION written on your behalf by persons not related to you (such as teachers, counselors and supervisors). One of the recommendations must come from the supervisor of a recent work or community service experience. The letters should be delivered in sealed envelopes with the application, and the persons signing the letters should also write their signatures across the flap of the sealed envelope. Each of your references should include a telephone number where he or she can be reached during the business day.
- Other Materials:A completed application form;On one sheet of paper, describe any COMMUNITY SERVICE activities in which you have participated in the past four years, including the number of hours per week spent on the activity and how many days, months, or years you participated in the activity; also describe any WORK EXPERIENCE you have had in the past four years, including your length of employment, the number of hours you worked, and how much you earned;