Dr. James Watson Fellowship Program
The Environmental Institute for Golf
The fellowship was established by the Toro Company to provide financial assistance to the candidates of masters or doctoral degree in fields related to golf course management.
- 3 awards
- Scholarship Website
- Age/Grade Level:Candidates for master's or doctoral degrees
- Financial Need:Not Required
- Major/Career:Candidates for master's or doctoral degrees in fields related to golf course management;Pursue a career in research, instruction or extension service in a university setting
- Judging Criteria:Academic excellence;Peer recommendations;Communication skills;Commitment to a career as an instructor and/or scientist;Accomplishments in research and education;Potential to contribute significantly to the industry;
- Resume/Activity List:Required
- Essay:What is/was the topic of your master's thesis? Describe your hypothesis and conclusions. How will what you learned to make a difference in the golf course industry? (600 words maxmum);For doctoral candidates, describe your research hypothesis, why or how you formed it,and any preliminary conclusions you have reached.How will the results of your research make a difference in the golf course industry? (600 words maximum);In your opinion, what are the key challenges facing the turf community in the next decade? How can you make an impact on those challenges? (400 words maximum);What are your career plans following graduation? Why have you chosen this path? (400 words maximum);Describe yourself. How did you become interested in your current course of study? What is important to you beyond your studies? (400 words maximum);
- Recommendation Letters:Letters of professional recommendation; Superintendent letter of recommendation
- Portfolio/Work Samples:One page summary. List research projects, educational efforts, extension programs or other relevant activity in which you have been involved. Emphasis should be placed on how these benefit golf course superintendents.
- Name: Mischia Wright
- Phone: (800) 472-7878
- Email: [email protected]